In October 1901, the First Baptist Church of Akron had a burden for the area of West Exchange and South Maple Street. Rev. C.L. Doyle and others were sent out and Maple Street Baptist Church was born on Sunday, January 17th, 1904. On May 9th, 1909, the cornerstone was lain for the Maple Street Baptist Church. The building was dedicated on October 10, 1909 debt free. Later the name of the church was changed to Calvary Baptist Church. In 1960 twenty acres of land was purchased on White Pond Drive, and on April 11, 1965 ground was broken and construction was begun on the present building. On January 23, 1966 Calvary’s members moved into their new home on White Pond Drive. Calvary Baptist Church, under Christ its head, is seeking to carry out the Great Commission of taking the Gospel to all the world. The church ought to be consumed with loving people to Jesus Christ, seeing them baptized, discipled and reaching the world with the gospel of Jesus Church through church planting and world wide missions.